- Company: Private Estate
- Location: East Sussex
A rare and exciting opportunity in the heart of the East Sussex countryside.
We are looking for an experienced Head Gardener or Head Gardener Couple to help develop and maintain a beautiful Estate.
We are looking for a person or couple who can manage the formal gardens, productive walled garden, lake, woodlands, and meadows to an exceptionally high standard.
An opportunity to work with designer Marian Boswall to develop the planting and management of this beautiful estate, this position would suit someone who is interested in long term sustainable land management, beautiful borders and developing a productive walled garden.
As the Head Gardener, we would expect you to be able to:
- Manage and maintain the aesthetic vision.
- Operate and maintain garden machinery.
- Provide excellent plant knowledge.
- Understand the seasonal requirements of a productive organic garden.
- Manage a small team of staff to maximise output and maintain aesthetics.
- Plan and schedule tasks, working towards long term goals/visions.
- Carry out all administration, budgets, purchasing and ordering.
- Collaborate on design of potential new areas and future projects.
- Work in conjunction with the clients and designer in planning, managing and overseeing the output and development of the walled kitchen garden (farm to fork).
- Spend roughly a third of your time planning and scheduling tasks and working towards long term strategic goals.
- Work collaboratively with the owners, and designer Marian Boswall.
- Share their vision for the gardens
The Head Gardener needs to be:
- An experienced manager and collaborative leader with a love of the land.
- Highly organised, tidy & proactive.
- Have organic and sustainable gardening experience including glass house and protected environment skills.
- Capable of working with nature.
- Have a creative problem solving approach.
- Systematic & honest.
- IT literate.
- Have a sound knowledge of health and safety working practices.
Our client is hoping to find a couple or a person who is hard working, trustworthy, honest and willing to go that extra mile and in return to make the estate their home.
Excellent working references will be required for this position. Car driver(s) essential due to location.
Horticultural qualifications required for the head gardener role, other skills will also be considered for the second person if applicable.
The position(s) offers a salary of £25,000 - £38,000 depending on experience p.a. plus a house on the estate.
Holidays of 20 days, plus Public Holidays.
Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Closing date 8th May but may close before if applicant(s) found
Show more vacancies