Garden designers who have been through adjudication - the SGD’s accreditation process - are awarded the status of Registered Member, and are allowed to use the letters MSGD (Member of the Society of Garden Designers) after their names.
Registered Membership is an endorsement by the SGD of your work and professionalism. It indicates that you possess extensive practical experience, and the technical and creative skills required by a top designer, and offers an assurance of quality to potential clients.
Those who are successful in attaining this high standard will generally have been in business for at least three years, hold Professional Indemnity Insurance and abide by the Professional Code of Conduct of the SGD, including a commitment to Continuing Professional Development.
Find out why these top designers choose to become SGD Registered Members in our film below.
Registered Membership comes with many benefits, including:
- Use of the Society’s logo on your website and marketing materials
- Full listing on the SGD website’s ‘Designer Search’
- Use of professional site-boards
- Twelve editions of membership magazine Garden Design Journal each year
- Being eligible to enter the prestigious annual SGD Awards
- (All finalists and winners can use the SGD Awards’ logos)
- Discounted rates for SGD conferences, workshops and seminars
- Opportunity to display your news on the SGD website and social media channels
- Preferential Insurance Scheme
- Regional SGD networking groups and workshops for continuing professional development
- Active promotion as part of the SGD PR initiative including exposure to potential clients through regular media endorsements, and exposure at events and trade shows supported by the Society
- Access to Members-only section of the SGD website with Suppliers Directory and guidance information
- Free recruitment or seeking employment advertisements on the SGD website
- Opportunity to participate in the running of the SGD
- Email newsletters
Find out more about benefits of Membership and which benefits are available to different Membership categories on our benefits table.
Registered member fees are £284 for those living in the UK, £312 for those living in Europe and £333 in the Rest of the World.
Fees for new members will be charged on a pro-rata basis until the upcoming October, as all SGD members have the same renewal date: October 1st. For renewals in July, August and September, fees will be for 15, 14, and 13 months respectively to ensure the next renewal date is October the following year. Prices are detailed in the table below:
Registered Practice Membership
Our Registered Practice status is an option for Registered Members who run a practice and would like to advertise their practice alongside their MSGD status. Registered Practices can enter the SGD Awards as a Practice and have the same benefits as for Registered Members listed above.
The Lead Designer or Designers of the Practice must be Registered Members, and sign a declaration that all design work carried out by the Practice is under their personal supervision. Registered Practices must also abide by the Society’s Code of Conduct for Practice Membership. Fees are based on the number of designers you have working in your practice and whether they are also Registered Members or not.
Registered Practice Membership Prices are as follows:
- 1-2 designers in the Practice - £102.00
- 3-5 designers in the Practice - £255.00
- Over 5 designers - £408.00
There is a £50 discount per additional designer who is a Registered Member/Fellow up to a maximum of £350 with the minimum payable fee being £50.
There is a surcharge in addition to the joining fee for overseas members which is £29 for those living in Europe, and £49 for the Rest of the World.
Payment for the year is fixed based on the number of designers you have at the time of payment. Should you gain/lose any designers during the year, your price will not increase/decrease until your membership’s date of renewal.
Other Registered Member Titles
Fellows of the Society are Registered Members who have been recognised for making an exceptional contribution to the SGD or the garden design profession, and use FSGD after their names.
Retired Membership is also available for existing Members who are no longer practicing.
To become a Registered Member, designers must first become a Pre-Registered Member and start on the Professional Pathway to adjudication.
BECOME A MEMBER