Make your start on the path to becoming a professional garden designer the right way, with Student Membership of the Society of Garden Designers, and we can help guide your training and development, and support you as you begin your new career.
To become a Student Member of the SGD, you must currently be attending, or be about to start, a garden or landscape design course of at least 200 guided learning hours (i.e. one day a week for 3 terms).
Benefits of Student Membership include:
- Ten digital editions of membership magazine Garden Design Journal each year*
- Being eligible to enter the prestigious annual SGD Student Design Awards (Finalists and winners can use the SGD Student Design Awards’ logos)
- Discounted rates for SGD conferences, workshops and seminars
- Opportunity to display your news on the SGD website and social media channels
- Regional SGD networking groups and workshops for continuing professional development
- Personal educational needs checklist and CPD advice on website
- Use of title ‘Student Member of the Society of Garden Designers’
- Access to employment opportunities on the SGD website
- Invitations to special events run by suppliers and supporters of the Society
- Discounted or free entry to events and trade shows supported by the Society
- Discounted rates for ‘Registration Starts Here’ presentation
- Email newsletters
- Opportunity to volunteer for the SGD
*Student Members can choose whether they would like to have the Garden Design Journal or not. Full Student Membership, including 10 digital issues of the Garden Design Journal, costs £74 per annum. Basic Student Membership, which does not include the Journal, costs £21 per annum.
Fees for new members will be charged on a pro-rata basis until the upcoming October, as all SGD members have the same renewal date: October 1st. Prices are detailed in the tables below:
| Full Student
Find out more about benefits for our different Membership categories here.
How to Apply
To become a Student Member of the SGD, you must be able to produce evidence from your college showing:
- The title of your course
- The start date
- The anticipated finish date
- Evidence of student status such as Student ID or a confirmation letter
- Annual Fees
You can apply to become a Student Member online:
Become a Student Member