SAVE THE DATE
SGD Conference: CROSSING CULTURES
Saturday 18 November 2023
Royal Geographical Society, London
The Society is delighted to announce the theme for the next Conference, to be held on 18 November 2023 in the historical Royal Geographical Society, as Crossing Cultures - globally inspired, locally focused.
The conference will be chaired by multi RHS medal winning garden designer Jo Thompson. Confirmed speakers include Tony Kirkham, until recently Head of Arboretum at Royal Botanic Gardens Kew, and Johanna Gibbons, founding Partner of J & L Gibbons and founding Director of the social enterprise Landscape Learn.
Reflecting on their own design and horticultural practices, the speakers at Crossing Cultures will consider questions such as:
- What are the ethics of borrowing from other cultures?
- Are restrictions on importing plant material limiting the designer’s palette and potential for biodiversity?
- What lessons can be learned from travelling through foreign landscapes?
- How do diverse cultures think about and nurture Nature?
- At what point does the designer’s cultural heritage meet with the client’s interests and style, to make a signature garden with award winning potential?
More information will be coming soon - we hope to see you there.
View other News