Pre-Registered Membership of the SGD is the first step in becoming an accredited professional garden designer, and the category for anyone who aspires to Registered Membership.
It is the right choice for those who have graduated from a garden design course, are setting up their own business or starting out in the industry, or who are already practicing but wish to start the process to become Registered.
Benefits of becoming a Pre-Registered member include:
- Ten editions of membership magazine Garden Design Journal each year
- Being eligible to enter the prestigious annual SGD Awards (All finalists and winners can use the SGD Awards’ logos)
- Discounted rates for SGD conferences, workshops and seminars
- Opportunity to display your news on the SGD website and social media channels
- Support on the Professional Pathway to Registered Membership through free ‘Registration Starts Here’ presentation, design advice sessions and adjudication workshops
- Business mentoring scheme
- Email and telephone support and advice
- Regional SGD networking groups and workshops for continuing professional development
- Access to Members section of the SGD website with guidance information
- Access to employment opportunities and free ‘Seeking employment’ advertisement on the SGD website
- Invitations to special events run by suppliers and supporters of the Society for Members
- Email newsletters
- Opportunity to volunteer for the SGD
Find out more about benefits for our different Membership categories here.
Pre-Registered Members are expected to progress on the Professional Pathway and successfully pass adjudication within five years. If you are not yet ready to begin the adjudication process or believe you may need longer than five years to complete it, you can still join the Society today as a Friend.
How to Apply
To gain Pre-Registered Membership, applicants must provide evidence of competence in basic garden design skills, either by qualification or by review.
Qualification: Graduates of a Diploma, Foundation Degree, Honors Degree or a higher level garden or landscape design or landscape architecture course. They should have successfully completed a course of at least 200 learning hours (eg one day per week for three terms).
Review: For those who are unable to provide formal qualifications, we ask that you supply a sample layout plan (preferably a PDF) and complete an additional information application form.
Both graduate and review applicants must provide evidence that they hold current Professional Indemnity Insurance.
You can apply to become a Pre-Registered Member, online here.
Pre-Registered member fees are £197 for those living in the UK, £225 for those living in Europe and £245 in the Rest of the World. The fees include up to three adjudication project submissions per year.
Fees for new members will be charged on a pro-rata basis until the upcoming October, as all SGD members have the same renewal date: October 1st. Prices are detailed in the table below:
| Pre Reg
Become a Pre-Registered Member